I’m always pleasantly surprised when a wedding-related news article comes up on my Twitter feed. Today’s headline – the cost of bring a bridesmaid.
I’ve been asked to be in 2 weddings. Lucky for me, both brides have been extremely sensible and cost-conscientious. Evidently that’s not the case for across much of the Western world.
According to the article, “After adding up the cost of the dress, accessories, travel expenses, wedding gifts and more, WeddingChannel.com found that it costs about $1,695 to be a bridesmaid. The estimate was based on a 2010 Real Weddings study that surveyed more than 20,000 brides nationwide.”
Here’s the author’s tips for bridesmaids on a budget.
Tips for bridesmaids on a budget
1) The dress: Suggest to the bride that she choose a color and you pick your own dress. That way, you can find something more affordable.
2) Party planning: Hold the bridal shower and bachelorette party on the same weekend so you don’t have to travel twice.
3) Gifts: Consider group gifting when it comes time to buy the gift for the bridal shower and for the wedding.
4) Lodging: Bunk with friends. If you’re not bringing a date, suggest the bridesmaids share a room.
5) Balancing the budget: At the very beginning, come up with a total number of how much you want to spend on the wedding, and then keep a running tab of how much you’re really spending. If the wedding is spread out over the course of a year and a half, that will help you keep your spending more in check.
Read the full article here.